Maple Syrup Custard with Berry and Almond Crumble Topper
I believe a heart-warming custard recipe belongs in every home. I particularly like this recipe because it uses pure maple syrup. Maple syrup not only tastes divine but also contains a higher antioxidant and nutrient content compared to alternative sweeteners. Always remember, the darker the better when it comes to selecting maple syrup.
Serves: 4-6, Prep time: 5-10 minutes, Cook time: 20-25 minutes, Vegetarian
• 6 free range eggs
• 3 cups full cream milk
• ½ cup pure Canadian maple syrup
• 1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
• ½ tsp. nutmeg
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk. Add vanilla, nutmeg and maple syrup.
2. Pour into 4-6 small ramekins and place in a water bath. Fill water 2/3 way up side of ramekin.
3. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until set.
Berry and Almond Crumble Topper
• 2 cups mixed berries
• 1 cup roasted almond chopped into rough pieces
1. Mix the two ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Serve the cooked custard with the berries on top.