Mild Chicken Curry with Quinoa
Serves: 4-6, Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 25-30 minutes
• 1 cup quinoa
• 2 cups water or chicken stock
• 1tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 500g skinned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 cup zucchini, grated
• 1 cup carrot, grated
• 1 tbsp. curry powder
• 1 tsp. ground marjoram
• 2 cups finely chopped tomato
• 1 cup chicken stock, salt reduced
• ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
• ½ cup plain yoghurt
• 1 tbsp. rice flour
1. In a saucepan, bring chicken stock/water to the boil on high heat. As soon as it boils, add quinoa, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to low heat to cook for 12-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time during cooking.
2. Whilst the quinoa is cooking; in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high add the coconut oil, onion, garlic and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
3. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Add curry powder, cayenne pepper and marjoram and cook 1-2 minutes. Add tomato, zucchini, carrot, stock, pinch of salt and pepper, reduce heat, and simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Combine yoghurt and rice flour; stir with a whisk and add to chicken mixture and cook for 1 minute or until slightly thick.
5. Serve mixture over a bed of quinoa.